Top Product Categories
Tips for traveling with a Portable Oxygen Concentrator
- Make travel arrangements as far in advance as possible. The more in advance you begin planning, the less the chance of any issues arising.
- For Airplane or Cruise ship travel, give them a call in advance to find out what paperwork or requirements they have for using your POC onboard.
- Commercial airlines require you have sufficient battery power while flying. This varies by airline, but most require a minimum of 150% of the planned flight time. Extra batteries are available for purchase or rent from the Active Lifestyle Store.
- Extra batteries also give you more freedom and mobility at your destination. Battery life varies on your breath rate and POC setting. But having fully charged batteries with you is always a good idea. Be sure to charge all of the batteries before your trip.
- External battery chargers are available and make charging multiple batteries faster.
- Know your POC. Review the User Manual and be familiar with turning the unit on/off, troubleshooting, what the alarms mean, etc.
- Take your User Manual with you on your trip. Don’t expect flight attendants to know how to operate your portable concentrator.
- On the way to the airport, use the car charger (DC Adapter) to power your portable concentrator so you keep your battery fully charge.
- Upon your arrival at the airport or terminal, it's a good idea to tell the agent you will be using a portable oxygen concentrator on the trip. By calling in advance, you should already have the required paperwork with you when you arrive.
- As you wait to board, find a Wall Outlet, so that you keep your battery fully charged while using your POC.
- These tips may not be the only information required by your airline or cruise line and they are provided only as a resource for your review.
For more information, visit the U.S. Department of Transportation for general information for consumers about the rights of air travelers with disabilities. You may also call 1-800-778-4838 for more information.
Have a Great Trip and Enjoy the Freedom with your Portable Oxygen Concentrator!